1537 Hawthorne Avenue
Lot 18 L.B. Tussing Trustee Subdivision
William D. Stout purchased lots 17 and 18 from the Tussing Trustee in July 1904. This house was probably built by or for Stout and completed in 1904.
William Frisbie purchased the house from Stout on October 10, 1904, assuming two mortgages totalling $2,850.
The Mortons rented the house from real estate investor William Martin Frisbie in 1905. In 1903 and 1904 the Mortons lived at 1097 Fair Avenue.
Thomas Aquinas Morton was born March 31, 1872 in Wheeling, West Virginia, son of William Henry and Mary A. Morton. He married Nellie Wilson Bradley on August 14, 1894 in Hamilton County, Ohio. Nellie was born about 1874 in Missouri, daughter of Edward and Isabel "Belle" Howe Bradley. They had two children, John Bradley (June 14, 1895 - June 1981) and Dorothy (October 4, 1896 - June 1984).
The Mortons came to Columbus in 1902, and shortly thereafter Morton became Secretary and Treasurer of Sun Manufacturing Company.
A profile of Morton appears in the Centennial History of Columbus and Franklin County, Volume 2, "The business interests of Columbus find a worthy representative in Thomas A. Morton, prominently connected with its industrial life. What he has accomplished represents the fit utilization of the innate talents which are his, combined with the ready recognition of opportunities that others have passed by heedlessly. He was born in Wheeling, West Virginia, March 31, 1872. His father, William Henry Morton, was a native of Fairview, Ohio, where his birth occurred in February, 1842...
Thomas A. Morton passed through consecutive grades in the public schools in his native state, becoming a high school student in Cincinnati, while in 1890 he entered the Ohio State University, pursuing a course in mechanical engineering. When his education was completed, he was with the American Book Company for several years and then becoming interested in the plumbing and steam fitting trade as manager of one of the most prominent trade papers in this line, located in that connection in New York for five years, and in 1903 came to Columbus since which time he has been associated with the Sun Manufacturing Company. At the time of the reorganization and incorporation of this company he was elected secretary and treasurer and ascended to the active management of the business. This company manufactures show cases, coffee mills. money drawers and wooden ware specialties, the enterprise being the largest in this line in Ohio, furnishing employment to one hundred and fifty people. The company has an extensive plant, well equipped with the most modern machinery and the output is shipped to all parts of this country while a large export business is also enjoyed. They manufacture high grade goods which are sold extensively to the jobbing trade. The growth of the business has demanded a constantly increasing output which has been doubled in the past five years.
The other officers of the company are: Fred W. Hubbard, president; J. S. M. Goodloe, vice president; W. R. Carothers, sales manager; and N. A. Curtis, superintendent. The relations between the company and its employes are always equitable and the representatives of the house know that faithful and efficient services mean promotion as opportunity offers.
On the 14th of August, 1893, Mr. Morton was married to Miss Nellie W. Bradley, a daughter of Edward W. and Belle (Howe) Bradley, the father a stove manufacturer, of Cincinnati, Ohio. Mrs. Morton is a lady of superior musical talents and a graduate of the Cincinnati Conservatory of Music. Unto Mr. and Mrs. Morton have been born a son and daughter: John B. and Dorothy, aged respectively fifteen and fourteen years. The family residence at No. 1537 Hawthorne avenue is the center of a cultured society circle. Mr. Morton gives his political allegiance to the republican party and is a member of the Board of Trade. His interest in community affairs is manifested by active cooperation in many measures for public good. Those who know him esteem him because of an honorable business record, characterized by steady progress resulting from close application, keen discrimination and unfaltering perseverance. Honored and respected by all no man occupies a more enviable position in industrial circles, at all times his business career being in strict conformity to the highest standard of commercial ethics."
The Mortons employed live-in help, and in 1906, Hattie Fletcher worked for them. In 1912, Mattie Wilson lived and worked there.
In 1916 Thomas was Vice President and General Manager of Sun and the Mortons lived at 180 Sixteenth Avenue, and in 1940 their daughter and two grandchildren were living with them at that address.
Thomas died June 24, 1960. Nellie died December 18, 1961. Nellie is buried at Greenlawn Cemetery in Milford, Clermont County, Ohio.
Frisbie rented the house in 1917 to Bertram F. Shivler, a salesman. In 1918 Clarence M. Johnston, manager of the Reliance Life Insurance Company of Pittsburgh rented the house.
On February 15, 1921 Frisbie sold the house the the Evans.
David A. Evans was born August 23, 1882 in Jackson County, Ohio, son of William E. and May Thomas Evans. He married Mabel E. Blake in Athens County, Ohio on October 11, 1911. Mabel was born October 16, 1887 in Athens County, Ohio, daughter of Nathan and Clare Edington Blake.
Obituary for Mabel Evans from the Nevada State Journal, May 30, 1964, "Mabel Blake Evans, 76, of 527 Gordon Avenue, died Thursday (May 28) in a local hospital. She was born October 16, 1887 in Ohio. She had been a Reno resident for two years. Mrs. Evans was office manager of the Nelson(ville) Brick Company for a number of years before her retirement 10 years ago. She was a member of the Broad Street Presbyterian Church of Columbus, Ohio. Survivors include her husband, David A Evans, a sister, Lena Juniper, and a nephew, Blake Speers, all of Reno, as well as two nieces, Mrs. Elizabeth Carr of Laon, France, and Gladys Jones of Greenfield, Ohio, and a nephew, Everett Jones of Oak Hill, Ohio."
Obituary for David Evans, appeared in the Logan Daily News, September 22, 1970, "Funeral services were held at 2 p.m. Tuesday at the Schoedinger State St. Chapel, Columbus. for David A. Evans, 88, Westminster Terrace, Columbus. Interment will be in Reno, Nev. He had retired from the Hocking Valley Brick Co., which operated plants in both Logan and Nelsonville. A 50-year member of Magnolia Lodge 20, F&AM, he also was a member of Broad St. Presbyterian Church. Survivors are a niece Gladys Jones of Greenfield: a nephew William E. Jones of Oak Hill, and cousins, Dr. and Mrs. W. T. Sharp of Nelsonville."
The Evans are buried at Masonic Memorial Gardens in Reno, Nevada.
Mabel Evans sold the house to Otto Poppendick (a building contractor) on August 26, 1927, and on October 5, 1927, he sold it to Gyla Evans.
Howard Austin Evans was born March 4, 1889 in Cleveland, Ohio, son of Aaron Nevins and Harriet "Hattie" M. McElroy.
He married Gyla D. Hickle in Franklin County on July 4, 1922. Gyla was born December 18, 1897 in Ohio, daughter of W.E. and Ora B. Plum Hickle.
Howard was an insurance agent. Gyla was a teacher at the time of their marriage in 1922. In 1940 the Evans lived at 290 South Cassady Avenue in Bexley.
Howard died November 9, 1969. Gyla died October 29, 1983.
On July 22, 1935 the Evans sold the house to the Babcocks.
William Strong Babcock was born June 14, 1881 in Washington DC, son of William H. and Anne Johns Earle Babcock. He married Mary Barnwell Heyward before 1920.
Mary was born November 19, 1891 in Orangeburg, South Carolina, daughter of James Smith and Caroline Ann Salley Heyward.
During 1920, Babcock was a patient in Walter Reed Hospital in Washington DC. In 1921, Babcock worked in his father's patent attorney office and the Babcocks lived in Lake Barcroft, Virginia.
Babcock was a patent lawyer and chemist. The Babcocks moved to Columbus in about 1930. In 1931 the Babcocks lived at 631 East Broad Street. In 1933 they lived at 600 Woodbury Avenue. About 1946 the Babcocks moved to Dayton, Ohio. William was working as an attorney at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base.
Mary died in April 1964 in Germantown, Ohio. William died January 15, 1965 in Kettering, Ohio.
On February 3, 1947 the Babcocks, then living in Dayton, Ohio, sold the house to Harvey E. Penrod.
Penrod sold the house to the Battins on April 13, 1948.
Samuel Henry Battin was born April 28, 1884 in (Elizabeth), Wirt County, West Virginia, son of Samuel Kinnard and Caroline "Corey" M. Toncray Battin. He married Orma Lenore Enoch on August 25, 1911 in Wirt County, West Virginia. Orma was born July 22, 1893 in (Newell), Wirt County, West Virginia, daughter of Henry E. and Addie Full Enoch. They had four children, Donald H. (1913), Marjorie (1917), Lyle (1920), Carl (March 17, 1923).
In 1930 the Battins lived in Man, West Virginia. They came to Columbus between 1935 and 1940. Orma died on February 18, 1941.
In 1940 the Battins lived at 1657 Franklin Park South and Sam was a salesman for a sweeper company. From about 1942 through 1945 Sam worked for the U-Drive-It (Rental Car) Company. Sam later married Ama G.
Sam died June 25, 1953. The Battins are buried at Glen Rest Memorial Estate in Reynoldsburg, Ohio.
The Battins sold the house to Katherine Hughes on February 3, 1950.
Katherine Battle was born December 8, 1915 in LaGrange, Georgia, daughter of Clarence and Maud Mooty Battle.
In 1930, Katherine lived with her father and sister in Dayton, Ohio. Her mother died in 1919.
Katherine married Charles H. Skelton in Franklin County on May 28, 1932. On her marriage license, Katherine listed her occupation as nurse and gave her age as 21. They had a daughter, Betty Lou (1933). In 1932 Charles was working as a cook. The Skeltons lived at 452 Sullivant Avenue. They divorced about 1934.
Katherine married Sandy Hughes in Franklin County on July 21, 1938. Sandy, like Katherine, was also a cook. Katherine's occupation was listed as assistant pastry cook on their marriage license, and her age (correctly) as 22. She then lived at 225 South Wheatland Avenue. The Hughes lived at 253 McDowell Street. Katherine and Sandy split about 1949.
Before she bought this house, Katherine lived at 450 Jefferson Avenue.
Katherine started working at Marzetti's Restaurant in 1933. During her time there, Katherine invented the famous Marzetti Original Slaw Dressing.
The Marzetti company profile on the Funding Universe website has this to say about Katherine, "In 1933, in the midst of the Depression, (Katherine) Hill was 17 years old and desperate for work. Drawn to a distant church by prayer, according to her story, she met a Marzetti's employee who told her that the restaurant was looking for someone to take over for a dishwasher who was going on a two-week vacation. She took the job at $10 a week, then stayed on for another two weeks chopping vegetables to cover for another worker on vacation. She was so hard-working that when a baker quit on her last day of employment, she was hired to take his place on a permanent basis even though she possessed no knowledge of baking and displayed no interest in cooking. Nevertheless, she soon exhibited a natural affinity for the work, so much so that she was eventually asked to develop breads, salad dressings, and sauces. Without the use of a cookbook she experimented, once explaining her method to the Cincinnati Post: "I taste, see, smell, feel and pour." One of Hill's greatest attributes was her insatiable desire to improve on an already delicious product. For decades she would arrive at work at 5:00 in the morning to develop new recipes for Marzetti, ultimately becoming the company's senior food scientist, despite the lack of formal training, as well as a company icon. She finally retired in 2002 at age 86 after 69 years of service."
In 1953, Katherine's daughter Betty Lou lived at the house. She was working as a presser. Betty Lou married Charlie Patrick in August 1953.
Katherine married her third husband, Thomas Weldon Hill between 1953 and 1974. Thomas was born November 13, 1913, son of David W. Hill.
Thomas died on August 11, 1976. He is buried at Greenlawn Cemetery. Katherine died June 17, 2006.
Katherine had put the house into a trust and the bank, as trustee, sold the house to Ryan P. Unger on June 5, 2006.
- Broad Street
- Brunson Place
- Callender Avenue
- Clifton Avenue
- Eastwood Avenue
- Eldridge Avenue
- Emerald Avenue
- Granville Street
- Greenway Avenue
- Harvard Avenue
- Hawthorne Avenue
- Hawthorne Park
- Long Street
- Maryland Avenue
- Menlo Place
- Monypeny Avenue
- Mt. Vernon Avenue
- Parkwood Avenue
- Pembroke Avenue
- Richmond Avenue
- Taylor Avenue
- Vogel Avenue
- 44 Woodland Avenue
- 45 Woodland Avenue
- 71 Woodland Avenue
- 93 Woodland Avenue
- 105 Woodland Avenue
- 156 Woodland Avenue
- 190 Woodland Avenue
- 205 Woodland Avenue
- 213 Woodland Avenue
- 214 Woodland Avenue
- 254 Woodland Avenue
- 263 Woodland Avenue
- 264 Woodland Avenue
- 282 Woodland Avenue
- 283 Woodland Avenue
- 298 Woodland Avenue
- 391 Woodland Avenue
- 402 Woodland Avenue
- Adjacent Areas