193 Woodland Avenue
Obediah Taylor House
The original home at 193 Woodland was on lots 19, 20 and part of 21 Taylor's Addition.
Lot 19 is now 187 Woodland Avenue, an apartment building built about 1953. Lot 20 and part of 21 are now 193 Woodland Avenue, the address now that of the remaining carriage house. Auditors record show this property was 205 Woodland avenue (through 1975). Lot 22 and part of 21 is now known as 205 Woodland Avenue.
Obediah "Obed" Taylor was born December 12, 1839, son of William and Cynthia McElvain Taylor
He married Hannah M. Nelson
Hannah was born November 5, 1839, daughter of David Nelson.
Obed was a carpenter and stair builder. His father was a plow maker. 43rd Ohio Volunteer Infantry (August 20, 1862-July 1, 1865) In Kansas in 1870. 1884 - 32 Boone, stair builder.
Hannah lived at 1493 East Long Street, 1902-1904.
Taylor, Hannah M Nelson 11/05/1839 09/06/1923 Nelson, David
Taylor, Obed 12/12/1836 12/15/1899 Taylor, William M
1889 Hannah M. Taylor Obediah "Obed" Taylor to 1899 Hannah to 1900
1892 Woodson Bailey, laborer res193
1896-1900 Charles Eldridge b193 brother in law of hannah
1899-1901 Martha B. "Mattie" Howell, domestic
1901 Wilbur T. Eldridge
1905 Cora Jenkins, cook
1953 Mear Apartments
Duane Henry Baker, son of Lorenzo M. Baker.
Duane Henry Baker, circa 1896
Duane H. Baker of Baker's Art Gallery, Columbus. Son of L.M. Baker. Finished his education at the Ohio State University, and has since been connected with Baker's Art Gallery, he being business manager and owning a third interest. Was a veteran member of the Columbus Cadets, six years a member of Governor's Guards. Socially a K. of P. and an Elk.
1912 Ohio State University Association Who's Who entry
Lorenzo P. Baker 1915-16
Carriage house of the former home at 193 Woodland Avenue,
now having the address of 193 Woodland, March 2010
Baker Art Gallery was a photography studio in Columbus, Ohio from 1862-1955. Among those to have their portraits taken were William McKinley, Rutherford B. Hayes, and Annie Oakley. They also won first place at various exhibitions, including the World's Columbian Exhibition.
Lorenzo Marvin Baker was born April 25, 1834 in Copenhagen, New York, and came to Columbus, Ohio in 1854. He worked at the Neil House, (a hotel), and was an officer in the state penitentiary under Governor Chase, and served for a short time in the Union Army during the American Civil War. In 1862 he started a photography business and established a gallery.
Baker took on his employee, John Samuel Schneider, (1860 - 1926), and his son, Duane Henry Baker, (1859 - 1934), as equal 1/3 partners in the business after the younger Baker graduated from Ohio State University and Schneider from Baldwin-Wallace College. They ran a highly successful business that included Presidents Hayes, McKinley, Taft, and Harding as clients. After the founder died in 1924, Duane Baker continued the business. Two more generations of the Baker family continued the business until 1955, when they donated their photos and negatives to the Ohio Historical Society
The gallery was located at 106 S. High Street, and later moved to 232 S. High Street. They moved to another location after 1939.
John S. Schneider was president of the Photographers Association of America in 1895. The gallery won the Photographers Association of America Gold Medal in 1889, Chicago Worlds Fair, Highest Award, 1893, Photographer's Association of Germany, grand prize, 1897and awards at the Ohio State Fair, beginning in 1874, for photographs plain and finished with watercolor and ink.'
Baker’s Art Gallery, 106 South High Street, Columbus, Ohio, was founded by Lorenzo Marvin Baker, born in 1834 in Copenhagen, New York. He was active in Columbus from 1860 until 1897.
Lorenzo came to Columbus in 1854 to clerk at the Neil House Hotel, he was also an officer at the Ohio Penitentiary. He went into the photo business in 1862 and established a gallery, one of the finest rooms in Ohio. They were awarded the gold medal for the best examples of photographs at the Semi-centennial in Boston and the World’s Fair at Chicago.
He employed two of his sons, Lorenzo and Duane Baker, as well as John Samuel Schneider, in the best known portrait studio in the state capital until well into the twentieth century. Lorenzo Baker won prizes at the Ohio State Fair beginning in 1874 for photographs, both plain and finished in watercolor and ink.
Lorenzo M. Baker lived until Febrary, 1924. Duane Baker, educated at the Ohio State University, took over the firm’s business affairs early in the twentieth century and was an active photographer in Columbus until his death in 1934. The third partner in the business was John Samuel Schneider, active in photography from 1880 until 1912.
What I really find fascinating about Baker's Art Gallery are some of the famous names and otherwise interesting folks that walked through their door to have portraits done: Presidents Rutherford B. Hayes and William McKinley, actor-entertainer Al G. Field, sharp-shooter Annie Oakley and 1892 Columbus Baseball Club, among many actors, actresses, government officials and persons of the times.
The Baker Art Gallery existed in Columbus until the 1950s.
Baker Art Gallery (American Photography Studio, 1863-1955) was a national and internationally recognized photography studio out of Columbus, OH and specialized in portrait and commercial photography, genre scenes and specialty art-photography. Some of their most famous clientele included Presidents McKinley, Hayes, Taft & Harding, as well as many prominent political leaders, military personnel, theatre personalities and other famous notables such as Annie Oakley, actress Grace Arnold and actor Robert Drociet among others.
Lorenzo Marvin Baker (American, 1834-1924) was the founder of the Baker Art Gallery and four generations of the Baker family ran the business until 1955. His son’s Duane Henry (American. 1859-1934) and Lorenzo N. (American, 1861-1906) were both photographers as well and helped run the family business. Duane was made partner in 1878 and was joined by the one of their principal photographers John Samuel Schneider (American, 1860-1926) who was made partner around 1886. Duane owned a third of the business as well as Schneider, and the youngest son Lorenzo N. was never made a partner. Lorenzo N. only worked for his father’s studio from 1880’s-1890 where he then opened his own business in Pique, (Miami County), OH.
The company became quite famous and won many prestigious awards for their work. Nearly thirty 1st & 2nd Prizes went to Lorenzo M. between 1874-1886 at the Ohio State Fairs for photos of every description, including photos finished in watercolor & ink. Other prominent awards included the Gold Medal in 1889 with the Photographers’ Association of America, Gold Medal at the Semi-Centennial at Boston, MA, the Highest Award in 1893 at the Chicago World’s Fair, the Grand Prize in 1897 with the Photographers’ Association of Germany, as well as other awards in Sweden, Italy, France and England.
Circa the 1890’s, the company began specializing in commercial photography and genre scenes with several pieces shown at the 1893 Chicago World’s Fair (prize) and at the Paris Exposition Universelle in 1900. Originally the company was located at 197 & 199 S. High Street in the city, and on January 26, 1892, the business burned down and they relocated to their 106 S. High & State Streets location. After Lorenzo M. Baker died in 1924, the business continued to remain in the family, and around that same time, Duane H. soon passed the family business on to his son Lorenzo P. Baker (American, 1894-1947). The business moved to a different location circa 1939 at 112 E. Broad Street in the city where they remained until they closed in 1955. The family subsequently donated all their glass & film negatives, and photographs to the Ohio Historical Society.
A VICE SQUAD STAKEOUT TO CATCH A SUSPECTED NUMBERS MAN RESULTS IN THE ARREST OF THE SUSPECT, HENRY NEAL, 44, 193 WOODLAND AVE, ON POSSESSION OF MARIJUANA
Publication: Columbus Dispatch Date: Friday, June 23, 1961 Page: 16 A
MISSING EVIDENCE LEADS TO THE DISMISSAL OF CASE AGAINST HENRY NEAL, 44, 193 WOODLAND AVE, ACCUSED OF ILLEGAL POSSESSION OF NARCOTICS
Publication: Columbus Dispatch Date: Tuesday, March 13, 1962 Page: 1 A